Water Quality & Quantity
At Munters we are perfectionists about providing a high quality atmosphere and climate for growth, supplying the most comfortable and healthiest environment for production animals. However, after breathing, water is the vital requirement for the majority earth species including pigs at all production stages.
The main functions of water in the body is:
- Cell life
- Chemical and metabolic reactions
- Transport of nutrients and removal of waste
- Body temperature regulation
Water is one of the least expensive yet vital inputs that modern pig production requires, but often we do not give enough attention to the quality and quantity of water delivered to the animals.
The Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board (AHDB) in England has created a comprehensive guide on how to design a water supply system for livestock production.
This guide includes essential issues such as:
- Supply system infrastructure
- Cleaning supply system on a regular basis
- Using water as delivery vehicle for medication
- Standard values and calculations on flowrates and pressures to satisfy the livestock demand
You can find the guideline and further information by visiting the AHDB website: https://pork.ahdb.org.uk/environment-buildings/water-soil-and-air/water-quality-and-quantity/
Munters recommends introducing Standard Operation Procedures to ensure that your animals receive high quality water in the required quantities; doing so is a key to improved production.