Why do I need a “Good Ground”?
* Electrical equipment can be destroyed or slowly damaged by voltage spikes, lightning hits, etc.
* Proper electrical grounding in combination with the controller’s internal protections is essential to protect the system
* To reduce interference from power sources, switching power equipment, RF noise, cross-talks and other sources of interference.
* Properly grounded metallic shields of the signal cables effectively prevent noise from entering into the system. For example, loose or exposed wires become antennas for radio frequency signal pickup, and can form loops that radiate noise.
Ground connectivity must be measured at the controller’s ground wire!
* Enables measuring ground resistance without breaking the circuit
* Available from various manufacturers (just Google)
* Price range is ~1000$ at resellers, < 500$ at E-bay
* Standard voltmeters do not show ground absence or high ground resistance
* Visual inspection cannot be relied on!
The following information provides specific information about grounding Rotem equimpment.
The ground rod's resistance must not exceed 5 Ohm.
The power ground source from the electrical enclosure must be directly wired to the controller ground bar.
The controller must be grounded through the dedicated ground terminal.
Sensors, bird an silo scales, and other cable shields must be grounded at the controller .
Note: Use 22 AWG or lower, shielded cable only!
Communication cable shields must be connected only at one end of every cable.
The silo's metal body should be grounded locally.
A metallic roof must be grounded properly. Attach air terminals to the roof ridge and other high points and connect them to grounding electrodes on opposite corners of the building with a main connecting wire.
A ground connection should be provided at diagonal corners of the structure. Larger buildings (more than 250 feet in perimeter) should have additional grounding connections. A grounding connection to the earth every 100 feet along a building is recommended. A main wire should be run from the earth ground on one corner, over the building connecting each air terminal and terminating at the other earth ground.
Check your email within a couple of minutes to reset your password, if you can’t see any incoming messages try to check into your spam folder!